Thursday, June 21, 2012

the cemetery stop

oldest stone i found had a date from the 1700s....



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

2 comments:

  1. Nice! Nice legs, too! :-)
    I love cemeteries! One of my favorites is in Berlin.
    -Mina

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love cemetries too! Such stories to be had from the inscriptions. Perhaps we should have a scrawl crawl day devoted to cemetries! We could visualise or write about someone we find there. In a village where I once lived, there are six tiny headstones in a row all little girls who died before they were two in the 1700's. I thought I should have made a picture of them dancing around the churchyard, but never got around to doing it. I did illustrate a story "Luna the Little Ghost" by Jana Novotny Hunter once and the churchyard in the illustrations was the one in the village, Lyddington, Rutland, England. There is a simple but moving inscription on a stone in the churchyard in Uppingham, Rutland: "To that honeft man who stood up for the common of Uppingham. November 11th 1682"

    ReplyDelete