Thursday, June 21, 2012

Reading and drawing in the rain...or sun

Spread1 from Bridget's sketchbook : Clerkenwell Green from terrace of The Crown pub
Well I managed two sketches, despite the sun playing games all day.  It's out now again, and it's hot.
I drew the above wide street view between showers. So many panes of glass, a now rare old telephone box (I started with that, far left,  which was a mistake as I smudged it, being left handed) and intriguing sign posts.
'Give Way' was the sign we finally followed.
When the rain got too hard, we took our drinks into the Crown and looked out through the pub window.  It was then, as Anne-Marie Perks and I were exchanging illustrator info, that I noticed this smart 21st century Mr Macawber, still out there, in the pouring rain.  What WAS he reading that made him smile so much?

Bridget sketch 2: Big umbrella + bottle of wine + a good story = contentment in the rain. 
 I see now from this photo I took after I finished this sketch, that I had exaggerated the size of the umbrella.  But he was inspiring - thanks to him we went out and braved another lighter shower.  

Wish I'd had more time to sketch chairs and The Crown itself.  Heather Kilgour arrived just before I had to leave for the studio.  She took this photo of our first efforts.  Hope they're drawing and appreciating the sun now! 


8 comments:

  1. Thanks Mina and Dina! These two sketches were my only efforts - Anne Marie has posted hers separately and it's interesting to see her different angle on the telephone box.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's really interesting to see both your sketches. The same (ish) view, but different perspectives.

    ReplyDelete
  3. love the captured book-reading-umbrella man...ANd what you were thinking about him and that book he was reading!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such good sketches, the umbrella looks better in your drawing - artists licence well used!

    ReplyDelete
  5. it's great that you braved the weather and came up with such lovely work. Apologies that I couldn't join in this year, but it turned out to be a day of torrential rain in Norwich anyway. Bravo to everyone!!!

    ReplyDelete