Not that you could, even if you wanted to, what with the light lasting so long. Hallo from Hannover, Germany.
Today I have Rumi's poem on the brain. I have to admit, I first discovered it through a children's book (Belle Prater's Boy by Ruth White). Here it is:
The breeze at dawn has secrets to tell you.
Don't go back to sleep.
You must ask for what you really want.
Don't go back to sleep.
People are going back and forth across the doorsill
where the two worlds touch.
The door is round and open.
Don't go back to sleep.
from Essential Rumi
translated by Coleman Barks
Today's a day for staying awake, even in the gray rain.
Summer is a time for reflection for me. I'm thinking about different worlds: my home country (U.S.) and my host country (Germany). And about a doorsill where worlds meet: my local Kurdish fast food joint (an imbiss). At least once a week, the imbiss is a place where I speak a shared second language, and my order is so unchanging they know it the moment I walk in. Falafel tasche, no onions.
On the Scrawl Crawl lots of worlds are touching today. I'm pleased to meet you at the round, open door.
Emily, thanks for sharing you poem, your imbiss & the your worlds. I hope you had a great day scrawling and crawling.(We moved within one block of my favorite döner place and it didn't take them long to memorize the orders for the whole family)
ReplyDeletethat is a great poem! I like that you discovered it thru a children's book. Doener places are the best!
ReplyDeleteThankyou for introducing us to that poem. Great abstract photo of your lunch.
ReplyDeleteI love Rumi’s message about staying awake and asking for what we want.
ReplyDelete